If you own a pretty old BMW like mine (2001 740iL) then your windshield mount may look like this. Dry, brittle, breaking into a million pieces. At first I thought this was the seal for the windshield and didn’t think something I could install myself. After some research and it turns out this is just a molding and is pretty easy to fix. The part number is 51 31 8 125 887 and it is also known as upper window trim or gasket.
I was going to order this online for about $38 but then called my local BMW dealership and they had it in stock for about $45. Decided to pick it up the next day.
First thing you have to do is to pull off the side trim out near the top because it covers the bottom parts of this cracking molding. Be gentle but don’t be afraid to apply some steady force. As you can see below you don’t have to take the whole thing off.
And now the fun part: Pull out the old windshield molding. As I was taking it off it broke into another million pieces and little plastic pieces was everywhere.
Now you to have make sure the groove is super clean because the new one has to fit perfectly. After I made sure every little piece was out of there I cleaned with some soap and water. This is what it looked like:
And then I applied some hand lotion to the new piece as lubricant and started on the driver’s side. It was easier than I thought to make it fit nice and flush. Went all the way across and finished on passenger side. And then I pushed the side trim back in. You have make sure the side trim is back in securely. Even though I had only removed the top of it, the mid section of the side trim was also loose. Pushed it back in with some good force and I was done. Here’s what it looked like after I cleaned everything off.